Breast cancer is the second most common cause of cancer-related deaths in women. If breast cancer is diagnosed early, you are more likely to have a better outcome. So it is always best to know the common signs and symptoms of breast cancer. Most women suffering from breast cancer may not show any symptoms at all especially during the early stages.
The following signs and symptoms are indicative of breast cancer.
· A new lump in the breast – This is the most common first sign of a breast cancer especially if the lump is hard, painless, and immobile and has irregular margins. A painful lump usually is a sign of benign breast disease but it should be checked by a doctor.
· Pain in the breast
· Nipple changes. – In some people, the nipple is pulled inwards (Nipple retraction) but in a person who had normal outward pointing nipples that suddenly become inverted should be examined by a doctor.
· Nipple discharge – Discharge from the nipples can be caused by many conditions especially benign breast diseases. However, nipple discharge from on breast is a sign that it could be due to breast cancer especially if it is a spontaneous discharge and is blood stained.
· A lump felt in the armpit – Sometimes a hard lump may be felt in your arm pit and it is often a sign of breast cancer which has spread to the axillary lymph nodes.
· Signs of inflammation such as redness, warmth, and itchiness of the breast may be a sign of an inflammatory breast cancer.
· Peau d’orange – If your breast has an orange peel appearance, it is an indication that there is fluid build-up within the breast which is often as a result of breast cancer.
· Ulceration around the nipple is a rare sign of a type of breast cancer known as Paget’s disease.