Neck pain due to the stiff neck is characterized by difficulty to move and soreness of the neck. This is most evident when a person is trying to look side to side. Aside from neck pain, headache, shoulder pain that can even be extended to the arms can be experienced. When this condition exists, there may be a need to turn the entire body instead of just the head to look sideways.
* The neck is positioned in an awkward location while sleeping.
* Injuries like fall or sudden impact that can push the head to the side.
* When the head is repeatedly turned side to side during a certain activity.
* Poor posture/slouching
* Neck tension caused by stress or anxiety
*Getting enough rest. This can give the injured tissues to heal which can relieve muscle spasm and stiffness.
* Hot and/or cold compress. When cold compress is used, the local inflammation can be reduced. When heat is used, blood flow can spur which can lead to a better/quicker healing process.
*OTC medicines like NSAIDs.
Read more here