The spinal column is composed of a series of bones stacked to one another. There are columns which include 7 cervical spines, 12 thoracic spines and 5 lumbar spines. At the base, there is the sacrum and coccyx. Discs cushioned the bones. It serves as protection that absorbs the shocks caused by the normal daily activities of the body like walking and twisting.
When there is a weakness or injury at the inner part of the disc, it can protrude through the outer ring. When such an instance happens, it is called prolapsed or slipped disc. It can cause pain and discomfort.
It is likely to experience slipped or herniated disc in any part of the spine from top to bottom (neck to lower back). The most common affected part would be the lower back. When it happens, it can add more pressure on the nerves and muscles that surrounds it.
* Pain/numbness usually on one side of the body
* Pain that can get worse at night or with some movements
* Pain that can also be felt in the arms or legs
* Muscle weakness: unexplained
* Walking short distances pain
* The affected area may have aching, tingling or burning sensations
Read more here